At some point in time all of us dog owners need to administer some dog behavior training. This is sometimes called "behavior modificaton" and it basically means solving your dog's behavior problems.
There are loads of dog behavior problems, they can affect all dog breeds, at any time throughout your dog's life. I've listed some of the more common dog behavior problems below, and importantly some proven dog behavior training methods to correct them. I will continue to add to this resource over the next few months. Hopefully this information proves to be a valuable resource for you - and your dog.
General Principles For
Dog Behavior Training
I expand further on these rules within the specific dog behavior problems listed below.
Even though it may seem as though your dog is behaving poorly to spite you or annoy you this is not the case. In the vast majority of dog behavior problems there will be a cause or trigger which sparks the behavior. Identifying these triggers is the crucial first step towards solving the problem.
Be careful you are not inadvertently rewarding the very behavior you are trying to eliminate. An example of this would be if your dog is barking excessively outside, you then go to the door and call him inside. You're encouraging and rewarding the behavior, and therefore he is sure to do it again!.
- A great number of puppy and dog behavioral problems are the result of separation anxiety.
- Many behavior problems (such as barking, biting and digging) stem from a lack of communication, or miscommunication between you the owner and your dog. Simply put, your dog is not aware of what is expected of him/her (I'll just say him from now on to make it easier).
- Applying some proper obedience training at an early stage (the earlier the better!) is a most effective technique to correct any behavior problems, and also to prevent any future problems. The fact that you are reading this page possibly means it is too late for this tip!
- Set boundaries of acceptable and unacceptable behavior for your dogs, and stick to them. Be consistent, make it simple for your dog:
- Be clear that you are always the alpha dog or leader in your owner-dog relationship.
- Make it clear to him what is unacceptable behavior - every time.
- Make it clear to him what is acceptable behavior - every time.
Dog Behavior Training Can Make An Enormous Difference To Your Dog's Life
It's a sad fact of life that the vast majority of dogs that end up in animal shelters (or worse) are there because of a bad behavioral problem. It doesn't have to be this way
, most problems (like aggression and destructive behavior) are at the very least manageable, through proper dog behavior training.
If you consistently apply the proper training techniques and add some commitment and patience, you are sure to achieve pleasing results with your dog.
to join the internet's largest community of dog owners and trainers who are dedicated to solving common dog behavior problems such as excessive barking, digging, whining, puppy biting, aggression and pulling on the leash
Online Dog Behavior Consultation
Does your dog have a specific behaviour problem
that you just haven't been able to tackle on your own? You can ask a leading Certified Professional Dog Trainer here