Excessive barking
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Excessive barking

Excessive barking

Hello...I have three dogs that I love, but I need help with one excessive barker.

2. Remove Advertisements

Please explain what he is barking at, when, and where? What have you done to try to stop it?
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

I did write a long story but for some reason it didn't post.. maybe I was timed out?? I will try and recreate it.

I have a four year old standard schnauzer. I know that this breed is prone to barking for protection. But my dogs barking is bordering on ridiculous.

First, he is scared fo cars, so car chasing and cars running in the driveway, and cars driving by us when we are walking make him WILD! I have tried firm commands to no avail, it's like I do not exist when cars are nearby. I have also tried bark controllers. I have a hand held unit and one hanging in the tree out front. I was hopeful at first, because they seemed to be working, but then about two weeks into it he seemd to start ignoring them and now does care.(They emit a sound dogs do not like) I have not tried a shock collar becasue I have an invisible fence system and heard it can seriously confuse the dog.

Second he barks when people come into the house and even worse when they try to leave! If I put him in his crate before they leave, he barks even worse. I know this is keeping some people from coming to my house.

I love him, and he is such a good dog when we are alone...but he is creating stress for me and my other dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements

Sorry for the mispelling I was typing really fast... and I obviously meant to say that he chases cars.

I wish I could help you with your excessive barker, but my Rocky is starting to do the same thing. Although, he's not doing it at cars, he's doing it at my teenager & our cats. And his bark is deep & ringing so it echoes & aaargh, it is driving me insane some nights.

Do you think his barking stems from fear, it seemed like that when you were talking about him not liking cars, but then when you wrote about him barking at visitors, I wondered if excitement may be an issue?

IDK Perhaps it is a bit of both? He definitely has a fear of loud noises, the vacuum, the ice maker, and of course thunder and fireworks. He also runs into his crate every time I put a pan on the stove because the smoke alarm went off once when I was using the oven. I try and reassure him when these things happen, but he seems to hate loud noises. The irony is he loves to ride in the car...as long as I don't start it before he gets inside!

It sounds to me as if there is a fear factor in there somewhere. It is not right for the dog to run and hide each time you put a pan on the stove. It may be worth getting a trainer to meet your dog to understand what frightening the dog and give you some suggestions about dealing with it.

+ Reply to Thread