Teaching a Dog Their Boundaries
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Teaching a Dog Their Boundaries

Teaching a Dog Their Boundaries

Try as we might, we cannot break our two friendly labs of going into the neighbors yards to greet them when they arrive home. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break them of this?

2. Remove Advertisements

There is two very easy ways to fix this. You can either keep them inside the house or inside a fenced yard. They are labs and expecting them not to greet most everyone they see is asking a lot of them.
    Last edited by Bill; 06-06-2011 at 01:59 PM.

I agree with Bill, it is much better for your dogs to have a fenced garden so that they can't stray into neighbour's yards. They are lovable and friendly dogs but they are heavy and they could easily knock a child or a frail person over.

5. Remove Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. You're right. Labs are very friendly (and very energetic) so we should probably look into putting a fence around our yard. We live in the country and I hate the idea of keeping them leashed.

I live in the country but still have a 70' X 50' area that we call the back yard. The house is one side of this so when the dogs go out the back door, they are automatically fenced in. There are times I take them for walks unleashed but only when I am with them. Also I am REALLY in the country. I can't see my nearest neighbor nor the road in front of the house.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

They make invisible fences. Not sure how much success people have with them but I have seen dogs run up to the edge of one and bark at me so they must work for some.
    * * * Unauthorized Advertisement Removed By Moderator * * * Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I live in the country but still have a 70' X 50' area that we call the back yard. The house is one side of this so when the dogs go out the back door, they are automatically fenced in. There are times I take them for walks unleashed but only when I am with them. Also I am REALLY in the country. I can't see my nearest neighbor nor the road in front of the house.
    I wish I lived in the same sort of country that you do, Bill. It would be heaven not to have neighbors so close. But I will check into getting some fencing up for my furry babies.

I just learned this recently that it was one of my sister's considering factor that I live in the suburbs which is a good place for the doggie. I'm loving it that I can play around with the dog and he has a place to roam and walk around even if he's alone at home.

Do I "scold" my dog if he knocks something or someone down accidentally? What's the best approach?

Kristen what sort of dog is it? Some dogs are just plain clumsy (like some people). I think all dogs should be saught not to jump up because it is bad manners and a heavy dog such as a Labrador could easily knock a child or frail person over. However if thedog accidentally knocks something over I wouldn't scold it but I would make it sit for a few moments to calm down.

I strongly recommend the fence, not just to protect the neighbors, so to speak, but a lot of animals are stolen from unfenced areas.
    Bill and JennTroynLuca like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast