Getting under your feet
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Justontime

Thread: Getting under your feet

Getting under your feet

I know that a lot of dogs feel the need to sit very close to their owners, a couple of my mum's dogs are like that they need to be touching her or tucked behind her feet when she sits in her chair. It worries me a bit because my parents are old and not as agile on their feet as they were, I don't want them to trip over the dogs or fall because the dogs get under their feet when they stand up. Any ideas on how to train the dogs to move away on command? They are reasonably well trained but they are Shih Tzus so getting them to do anything on command is often more of a hope than an expectation

2. Remove Advertisements

I can't offer a solution, but I know exactly what you mean, I had a dog who always had to sit behind my feet, it was as if he had to be touching me before he could relax.

I had that problem with my mom. I told her she needed to look down more. There is no solution. Doggie love doesn't understand tripping.

5. Remove Advertisements

From what you say there is more than one dog involved. It should be possible to train the dogs to go to their baskets (or crates) ans stay. It may take a while but it would be a good thing to do. Then your mum could instruct the dogs to go to their baskets before she stood up and walked across the room.

Bill likes this.

Like Justontime said, teaching "go to your place" would be ideal. If the dogs love to chase a ball, you could have your mom toss a ball for the dogs to run after but that would mean mom needs to remember to have the ball with her when she sits down.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

Thanks I think teaching the dogs to go to their place and stay is the best option, I appreciate the advice.

We have the same problem with our dogs. They have to lay right beneath our feet no matter where in the house we are. It's cute but it can get annoying and also dangerous should we trip over them.

My problem is that it's hard to train two dogs. They hate being separated and it's just hard to do. Let us know how it goes for you.

It is going quite well thanks. The dogs will now go to their beds when told to and we have almost got all of them to go to the door on command this will enable her to send them to the door then get up and walk across the room to let them out into the garden.

It sounds as if you have achieved quite a lot Kernow, I like the idea of having the dogs goto the door before she gets up to let them out. How many dogs does your mum have?

+ Reply to Thread