Choosing a new dog
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Choosing a new dog

Choosing a new dog

What factors do you take into consideration when choosing a new dog?

2. Remove Advertisements

Speaking personally I have a stern word with myself about knowing my limits before I even start looking. I set a limit on size and care, I don't want a dog that needs a massive amount of grooming or clipping, then I think of temperament and how the dog would fit in with our family and how much exercise it would need. Having all that clear in my head helps me to let my head rule my heart when I visit a re-homing centre.

AGE - as I always take rescues my one rule is the dog must be between 3 - 6 years.

BREED - I would research the breed very carefully before choosing. Tbh, I have always had collie x's before I fell inlove with boxers..........I only got a boxer after walking someone elses for 2 years and talking to the owner at great length about them. I am lucky as I walk a few different breeds of dogs it gives me alot of insight into how they are....

TEMPERAMENT - because I walk and board other peoples dogs, the dog have to be ok around other dogs.

5. Remove Advertisements

The age point is interesting. I guess the older the dog the more likely they are to need expensive vet care. I always adopt rescue dogs and I don't have an age limit as such, but I would have to think very carefully about taking on a dog that was more than about 8.

Thanks, some interesting points there. If taking on a younger dog it is important to consider how you expect your life will be for the next 15 years or so, because you will have a responsibility to care for that dog for the rest of its life.

Love and instant attraction. Seriously, it's just a nonverbal connection from the get go. Quite honestly, a few of my dogs have actually picked me instead of the other way around.

I have to admit that has happened to me too Orrymain, that is why I need to have a stern word with myself so that I stick to my limits and don't take on a dog that wouldn't really fit with our family situation.

I know what Orrymain means, but I need to be careful to choose the right dog for our circumstances, hnowing me I will want to take them all!

I think another important point is to understand that every dog is different and you can never find a dog that will be like the one you have lost. The new one will become special to you in it's own way.

That is absolutely right Kernow, you can never replace a much loved dog but you can learn to love a new dog and appreciate that dog as an individual.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast