How did you aquire your dog(s)? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How did you aquire your dog(s)?

My oldest, the beagle, Cobber I actually bought and paid for. Gasp. He's 15 now - (when did that happen? He's still my puppy-) The others are all rehomed/rescues.

Kate and the K9s

2. Remove Advertisements

I got my baby from my sister. She wasn't able to bring him with her because she had to move out of the country and I guess it was a blessing in disguise because we're now an inseparable pair!

I have always adopted dogs from the rescue centre. I have had some wonderful dogs and they have had a loving and happy home.

5. Remove Advertisements

My husband and I agree to adopt a dog when our son asked for a pet dog. We thought it would be better to adopt than buy because a friend of mine educated me about adoption and rescues way back in college.

Mostly my pets have been adopted, but my very first dog when I was a little girl was brought from a reputable breeder and chosen because it was a small dog, a Jack Russell Terrier. I loved that dog so much, but it is not a breed I would choose for a young child as they are best when they work. That dog taught me so much, loyalty, determination, individuality, stubbornness, fearlessness and to never give up and never let go.

Well, I wanted to go to the SPCA for my current dogs, but I still had an older dog, and they had this rule that you have to bring your dogs in to meet the new dogs. That wasn't feasible for me, so I looked at the county shelter but never got the dogs I wanted. So, I had to turn to, yuck, Craig's List which is scary most of the time. However, I believe God has a plan. I refuse to 'buy' animals. I found one lady who wanted a bunch of money for a black lab, but in the end I told her that I just couldn't afford it. Look, I'll spend thousands when they're mine, but I just don't believe in spending 'x' hundred of dollars to acquire the dog. There's more to that, but that's another post.

Anyway, a bit of time past and then she emailed me and asked me if I still wanted her. The money didn't matter anymore. She told me a man had come out to look at her and wanted her, but she just had a bad vibe from him. With me, she felt I'd love her. She brought her to me, and I do love my black lab. I wanted another dog though and responded to another gal. She also felt the love. She'd found a puppy, but she was a college student and knew she couldn't really care for her full time. Believe me, this gal loved the puppy. She cried dropping her off. It was really hard on her, but she knew I'd love the pup and she liked how the two dogs were getting along right off the bat.

So, that's the story on these current 2. It's different for all of my past dogs.

It must be terrible to have to give a dog up for adoption, so I am sure the young girl was pleased to find you Orrymain, at least she knew her puppy would be loved.

Just goes to show you...there are no accidents! Everything happens for a reason and it seems the "right" dogs find us every time. Great Story!

Syn
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodPup View Post
    Just goes to show you...there are no accidents! Everything happens for a reason and it seems the "right" dogs find us every time. Great Story!
    True GoodPup,
    I have tried a couple of times to bring in a new dog for Buster, but he just isn't ready yet. We lost both of our old dogs on the same day, it was really hard on us. Maybe I'm not ready yet either. Buster's not mean about it, he plays with them, but after awhile it's like he says "it's getting late, you have to go home now", and goes to his room and won't come back out.

I'm sure it's for a good reason, one day a little dog will come along in need....and we will be here.
    women and cats will do as they please,
    men and dogs need to get used to the fact.

I think there is some truth in the idea of the right dog coming along at the right time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast