Puppies and Babies
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppies and Babies

Puppies and Babies

It is such a pet peeve of mine, the number of families with puppies or older dogs who suddenly have kids and give away their pets like they would a CD or something. Does this upset anyone else?

2. Remove Advertisements

Yep ......
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

Yes, very much. This sounds mad now, but when I had my first child I worried throughout the pregnancy that my dog would be upset about it. From the very first day he not only accepted my daughter, he became her best friend. Almost every photo of her has him in the picture too! He was a very bouncy energetic dog, but he was very gentle with the children. Having said that, I was very careful to supervise them carefully a young child can be unintentionally rough with a pet.

5. Remove Advertisements

Yes that sort of thing upsets me very much. Leaving aside feelings for the dog, I believe that taking on a dog is a life long responsibility. I know that circumstances change and I must admit there are one or two breeds that perhaps I wouldn't want to have around my children, but people should think ahead when they get a dog and they should choose carefully. My children have benefited greatly from being brought up with dogs (and other pets), they are all confident with animals and they understanding that owning a pet is a serious responsibility as well as a joy.

It really ticks me off too! I don't know how many times I've seen it happen and every time I wish I could take the pet in but I usually can't for some reason.

It just breaks my heart when a dog is treated thoughtlessly. I had a co-worker that treated their beagle like a child. Then they had one and got rid of Barney, though they did make sure to find him a good home. The thing is, I know Barney missed them. He was like 8 years old or something. I honestly believe it made me go from jsut really liking this co-worker to being glad when he quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    It is such a pet peeve of mine, the number of families with puppies or older dogs who suddenly have kids and give away their pets like they would a CD or something. Does this upset anyone else?
    Yes, this upsets me very much. I also get annoyed at people (like my brother) who seems to get a new pure breed dog every year and just gets rid of their old one. I see pet ownership as a lifetime commitment. People should not get dogs unless they plan to keep them "till death do they part."

OH, Chris, that would make me so upset. Treating pets like last year's toys is not humane at all.

my dogs are a part of my family and it upsets me immensely as I see alot of that in rescue

Something else that really bugs me is people who decide that they don't want to pay the registration fees for an adult dog so they keep him until animal control gives them a warning about registering him & then they drop him off in the country... I just found out my parents did this with their pure-breed standard poodle! Of course, they tried to justify it by saying they still go out & feed him, occasionally. Gah!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast