Dogs Eating Grass
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dogs Eating Grass

Dogs Eating Grass

Our dogs have always eaten grass occasionally, but lately they are eating it like they are starving or something! Why do dogs eat grass and why would our dogs be eating so much of it?

2. Remove Advertisements

No one can say for sure why........mine go through spells of eating loads of the stuff and then they don't bother with it for a few weeks. I notice they especially go for it after it has been raining. I walk dogs and they all eat it on and off, some more than others. One dog I used to walk would eat it and then throw up. Maybe there is something in the grass that they need in their diet? Does grass help them to digest their meals? or settle their stomachs if they feel a little queasy? Does it just taste nice? Who knows it is one of those mysterious things that only a dog would be able to tell you.......

There is some more info about this topic on this thread here: http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...ats-grass.html

Try and make sure there aren't any snails or slugs in or on the grass as they can carry something called lungworm. Perhaps they eat grass to satisfy their ravening when they're too full up to eat more solid stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements

Funny I was talking to one of the owners of one of the dogs I walk today and he was telling me that humans and guinea pigs are the only animals that do not make their own Vitamin C. So he had his guinea pigs out on the lawn to get a dose of Vit C by eating grass. So I wonder then whether dogs choose to eat grass at times when they need an extra dose of it?

Syn
    My Dobe/Heeler I had for 16yrs, would eat grass, I think its something that they need, or crave sometimes. I called her a part goat, she was really right out there with the horses GRAZING. She enjoyed hay as well.
    women and cats will do as they please,
    men and dogs need to get used to the fact.

My dogs throughout the years have eaten grass when they aren't feeling well, but not as a regular diet. It actually has helped me to recognize when they weren't feeling well.

Syn
    [QUOTE=Stephanie;1522] Who knows it is one of those mysterious things that only a dog would be able to tell you.......[QUOTE]

That's right up there with the circles before laying down.
    I watched a movie "Good Dog" and in the movie, the dog said "It's to build a barrier against bad dreams" so maybe grass eatting really is right up there and "we the people" are just reading too much into it .
    women and cats will do as they please,
    men and dogs need to get used to the fact.

It doesn't seem to do them any harm so, it is not something to worry about.

One of my friends dog (Lassie) does It too, I've always wondered about this too. He always eats a few when he's laying on the grass after playing outside. So U asked him what is wrong with Lassie, He said Lassie only does it when she's tired. Bit I don't know if she's actually swallowing it or just pulling it out?
    * * * Unauthorized advertising removed my moderator * * * Bill

No one can say for sure, maybe they just like it
    "The only fault, dog’s really have is their lives are too short"

Take care, best regards, Harry.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast