Dangerous for our dogs to jump off the bed
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Orrymain

Thread: Dangerous for our dogs to jump off the bed

Dangerous for our dogs to jump off the bed

I have a pretty tall bed that my pugs come on when I am watching tv or reading. I'm wondering if the jump down is potentially hard on their joints?

I don't want to baby them too much and carry them off, but want to make sure they aren't getting hurt without knowing it...

Any ideas to check or any thoughts? I assume that since they keep wanting to come on the bed that its not that bad, but not sure how to know for certain

2. Remove Advertisements

What kind of floor do you have that they are jumping onto? If it's hardwood, I would be concerned. A plush carpet, not so much so. I have Great Danes and they only have to step off the bed.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

I have carpet in the bedroom, not a real thick carpet, but I assume it's ok... If it hurt them I would think they would shy away instead of always begging to jump on.

Haha Great Danes must be so fun! You'll be asking if it might be dangerous for them to jump on and off the roof =P

5. Remove Advertisements

I don't let my dog go on my bed, in fact she doesn't go upstairs at all. I would imagine that jumping on and off a bed would become more difficult and potentially be a greater risk as the dog gets older and less agile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    What kind of floor do you have that they are jumping onto? If it's hardwood, I would be concerned. A plush carpet, not so much so. I have Great Danes and they only have to step off the bed.
    I know what you mean, Bill. One of our labs is a big one (110 pounds) and she just steps up on the bed and on the couch. No need to be concerned about her joints, lol.

If you're worried why not get dog stairs or place a hassack or something like that so they can have an intermediate level to go up and down on.
    Bill, Kristen and JennTroynLuca like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    If you're worried why not get dog stairs or place a hassack or something like that so they can have an intermediate level to go up and down on.
    Hmm this is a good suggestion - not sure why I didnt think of this before =P I'll head over to Petsmart today to check out some options. Thanks Orrymain

Welcome! Let us know how it goes. You might have to work on training them at first, so don't be surprised if that happens ... or they could love the shorter jumps and take to it right away. I had one dog do that in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    I learned something new today. I love this idea and should get one for myself too.

+ Reply to Thread