By-products
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Stephanie

Thread: By-products

By-products

In my research and talking with folks about switching to home cooking for the dogs, I was really shocked to learn what exactly "by-products" are. I think it's just horrible. That sealed the deal for me on my dog feeding decision. I actually returned 2 unopened bags of food I had bought before my decision and I'm donating about 25 gallons of food that I had to the dog shelter. I just can't give it to my dogs anymore, not knowing the truth of the by-products as I do now.

2. Remove Advertisements

Syn
    Good job Orrymain!!!

By in dog food = bye pass it.

I've been doing the Raw Diet for a couple of weeks and I am happy with it. Buster is REALLY happy with it.
    I bought a food dehydrator, and I have been making those chicken jerky treats he loves. Can't seem to get the chicken to stay rapped on the banana and sweet potato yet. And the liver cake...it's the only time he's just rude about sticking his head AND front feet into the frig to put his little nose on the container.

I just ask..."really???" One little foot moves and those but,but,but, eye looks.... I am a toughy, I close the door and wait until he's out of the room and sneak one out for him. I just LOVE that I'm so happy trot when I give it to him.
    Okay I'm squshy in the inside .
    women and cats will do as they please,
    men and dogs need to get used to the fact.

Syn you are just a softie! Years ago when my horse died (in England) there were only two options re disposal either let the man who collected carcases come and take the carcase away in which case he would have gone for dog food, or to let the hunt kennels collect the carcase and let him to be fed to the hounds. I loved that horse so much that I found the choice very difficult.

5. Remove Advertisements

Oh Kernow, that is sad, but it us not so far from nature's way of dealing with a carcase - using it to feed the living. Everyone has a different way of looking at it, but to me once life ends the 'identity' or spirit (everything that made that creature an individual) is gone and what is left behind is just flesh and bone, but I understand it must have been very painful for you.

I'm not going raw but am home cooking. IN fact, that is how I've spent my afternoon. Still have food cooking now.

Syn
    Orrymain, I can smell it from here....

I did that for a time, too. But the raw is were we finally ended up. When you are ready, it is wonderful. Buster looks sooo healthy and shiny. His little kisses are sweet and no smell now, and his teeth are starting to be white again. I give him a raw bone once or twice a week, ( yes happy trot),

I did the feed full rein, and he ate and ate and ate. I thought he might pop! But he did slow down and started leaving food in his dish. Now I know pretty much what to give every feeding and he cleans it up. The really ROUND tummy, is not so round now. It's like all the nuterents moved to where they are suposed to be.

I'm not ready to think about losing my horses yet... here it's sad... to the dump or dig a hole. I should look into something so they do help another, don't really want to think about it... but you are right... thank you. Something else should be done.

My friend feeds a totally raw diet to her two dogs and they look amazing. They have been on raw food for years and they are an excellent advert for the raw diet, they are a picture of health. It has certainly changed my thinking about my dog's diet.

Syn, I can barely stand to be around raw meat, so I don't think I can go there. I don't mind the cooking as much as I thought, but I need to find ways to shorten the time it takes.

Syn
    Orrymain a little cheating for you, this is what I did when I was short of time...

Put everything in a slow cooker and forget about it for the day. Cook a bunch and freeze it for later. Really helps and the meat just falls apart. You can add the veggies each day.

I had everything done and in the freezer. The meat, veggies and rice in daily rashings each in seperate baggies. Grab out one of each for the next day or a couple of days, to thaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    Syn, I can barely stand to be around raw meat, so I don't think I can go there. I don't mind the cooking as much as I thought, but I need to find ways to shorten the time it takes.
    Orrymain, I am a vegetarian so I understand how you feel about being around meat - I don't like it and even now all these years on, I still wear rubber gloves or disposable ones when handling it or hacking it up - I just can't stand the thought of actually touching what is essentially dead animal. I manage and I do it because I believe that raw meat in it's pure form is much better than anything cooked or otherwise. For a long time I cooked meals for my allergy dog, but slowly again I have turned him back to raw too, so far so good.

Orrymain, I notice on other threads you have asked about amounts and supplements - here is a link that I used to base Jakey's meals on -http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html It looks like it is all raw to start with but the info is about half way down for cooked meals. Hope this helps you.

+ Reply to Thread