Type of food - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type of food

Bill, I have a friend who feeds her dog on an entirely raw diet, and judging by the condition of her dogs I am sure you are right about it being best for the dog. I have moved my dog a long way towards a completely raw diet, but the dog is a bit resistant to it, when she came to me she was traumatised and I am trying to make the transition to raw food gently.

Last edited by Justontime; 06-08-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: clarity

2. Remove Advertisements

I don't understand what you mean, "The dog is resistant to it". Exactly what are you feeding?
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

I agree with this "absolute best food to feed a dog is a diet of raw meat, bones, and organs from a variety of animals". But if you consider canned food, make sure to choose foods that have fewer grains, more moisture, more fresh and does not require preservatives .
    Dogs are my life passion.
    Read more on my blog: How to house train a puppy

5. Remove Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I don't understand what you mean, "The dog is resistant to it". Exactly what are you feeding?
    When she came to me the re-homing centre had her on a brand of dry food and they encouraged me to stick to it. They'd had problems getting her to eat and this continued when we got her home. I have taken advice from a friend with lots of experience of feeding a raw diet and also from my vet but often she still backs away from her food bowl and refuses to eat. She is not underweight, she is just about right now but it has taken a long time to get there, she was seriously underweight when we got her. I have tried changing the bowl and the feeding location, her teeth and mouth are in good shape and she has no health problems.

Do you know anything about the dog's history? I was just wondering if food time was traumatic in some way, was she with other dogs with her previous owner?

I don't know much Kernow. I know that 5 dogs from the same owner were taken to the re-homing centre at the same time. I was told the dogs had been shut up together in a shed for long periods of time. The others had been re-homed by the time we got Lucy, they kept her back because she was terribly thin and so afraid that she wouldn't let anyone touch her. She is a different dog now, but she still has issues about eating.

I have six dogs who are all on raw and have been for years. I think its the best thing you can feed a dog.
    Natalie Feeding raw since 2008

Dedicated to proper carnivore nutrition http://preymodelraw.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12