Is It Fair to Them?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is It Fair to Them?

Is It Fair to Them?

My neighbors have 2 dogs, a big Lab/Doby mix and a small Scotty. We both live in an upstairs apartment. My question is, is it fair to the dogs to be in an apartment like that? For what it's worth, there aren't any patios to speak of, just enough room to open the door and walk.

2. Remove Advertisements

They would need a lot of walks and exercise. They may be very well looked after but personally I think it is a bit unfair to keep big dogs cooped up in a flat.

Dogs are pretty adaptable. It all depends on how much exercise they get and how much attention when at home. There are much better situations but this one is not necessarily all that bad.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

5. Remove Advertisements

Well, since I'm a stay at home mom, I have a tendency to notice when the neighbors are leaving. Especially since they have to walk by my window... Anyway, I think they are only taken out 2-3 times a day & aren't gone long, probably long enough to go to the bathroom & then immediately back home.

The main reason I asked is because my girls are asking me for a puppy. Again.... I love dogs, I almost always had dogs as a kid, but I don't think it's fair to a dog or puppy to expect them to stay indoors all the time. That's why I keep telling them when we move, so now we're looking for a house.

Dogs can be kept in apartments. Like Bill said they are very adaptable. Only thing is if you live in a smaller space and you get a dog, be prepared to walk walk walk walk walk walk walk and walk some more. I would suggest training it to run beside a bike or use roller blades or land rollers to tire it out faster. A tired puppy is a happy puppy and being in a small space requires lots of exercise in order to prevent them from developing behavior problems

OH a lot of dogs live indoors most of the time. Some are outdoors and other love to be inside. As long as the dogs are taken out to take care of business and get some walking exercise, it's fine.

I think it would be necessary to consider the neighbours if you are living in a flat. Having big dogs chasing around in an upstairs flat may sound very loud to the person living below.

Maybe because I grew up in the country, I've always had the belief that dogs don't belong in apartments and only to be let outside (on a leash) a few times a day for a few minutes at a time. It seems cruel to me.

+ Reply to Thread