Potty Training a really smart Puppy (repost since my last did not show?)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potty Training a really smart Puppy (repost since my last did not show?)

Potty Training a really smart Puppy (repost since my last did not show?)

Hello, my name is Tarin and my Puppy is Bentley (Formerly Baby)

Bentley is a Min-Pom or a Pineranian, and he is 22 weeks old. This was my first puppy and I got HORRID advice on puppy pads, so now I know he thinks it is ok to go potty in the house, which it is not. I know it will be hard to break him of this, but does anyone have any ideas on how to? He is insanely smart, and gets stuff very fast and keeps it. (He locked the latch and locked me IN his exercise pen before bed time because he wanted more ball time, has learned to unzip zippers (Pillow in his bed which is now sewed shut)

So, now when I do the whole thing when I take him out RIGHT when he is about to go or when I can tell he is about to lift his leg or squat to go potty I scoop him up and take him outside on his leash and go for a good half hour walk or let him just sniff...and sniff...and sniff, if he doesn't go I take him in put him in his crate for ten minuets and then wait...and do this process about 4 times...But when I take him back to his exercise crate giving up he apparently has just been waiting for that and trots in and goes right on his pad.

We tried putting the pads outside..nothing...He had a grass pad (again bad, bad, bad, bad BAD advice from a person who had four dogs and apparently it worked for them. I wasn't given any other advice from people at Pet's mart either who supposedly knew it was ok)

I have no problems training him other than he is VERY HYPER. Of course this is to be expected and I love him to death. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thank you so much and I am sorry if this double posts. First time using the forum.

PS: We live in a townhouse kind of area upstairs, we will be moving into an apartment with a dog run in four months thank god, but he NEEDS to be potty trained by then.

2. Remove Advertisements

PS: Please feel free to email me at [email protected]

Hi, I think it is just a case of taking him out to the bathroom very frequently, try taking him to an area where he will smell other dogs and get the idea of what is required. When he performs give him lots of praise. It will take a few weeks but is sounds as if he is a fast learner. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements

Thank you so much! Now that I think about it, he did respond to our chow but she doesn't like him very much, maybe if we follow from a distance and he watches her then he will learn a bit faster. Thank you!

By the way the Chow was already potty trained. She is a rescue and my Mother in Laws.

Again thanks so much!

You'll get there

I had the same problem with mine. I learned quickly that you almost had to catch him/her in the act and run outside. Even if they were done its important for them to make the connection. Of course my poor carpet dealt with the consequences. After a quick search of Indianapolis carpet cleaners it looked as if he knew all along haha. Keep at it and reward the good behavior.

+ Reply to Thread