Potty Training Nightmare?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potty Training Nightmare?

Unhappy Potty Training Nightmare?

Hello, well the potty training with Bentley is not going too well, he is such a sweetie though.

So far here are the steps I have taken.

Taken him outside when he circles, or squats or is in mid piddle or going potty at all, but he HOLDS it outside!!!! Then the SECOND he comes back in he goes on the old area where his pad was. I have used all sorts of cleaning products to get the stuff off the floor. But that does not work....

I got him a crate, and now we are....this is our fourth time we do this, where he has had his lunch and drinks and i took him outside after 15 min.

Ive tried with the pad outside, I have tried taking him where the chow goes so he can smell where she goes.

We got him May 8th and he was 10 weeks then so he is about 6 months. HEEEEELLLP...op times up, off to try again. >.< If at first you don't succeed!!!!! thanks guys!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements

I'm having much of the same issues with our dogs. One was supposedly housetrained before we got him & he's 8 months old but it seems like he would rather hold it when outside & then do his business inside. Its driving me crazy! Our puppy is only 3 months old & he's getting better so I can't really complain about him.

One thing you can do, is not come inside until he goes. I know with our dogs, it can take them up to 45 minutes to go. It means more time outside than I would like sometimes but you gotta do what you gotta do.

He still thinks the pad place is the proper place to go. Try putting a pad there again for a few days. Once he is using the pad reliably, move the pad a little closer to the door every few days. Maybe like a foot closer each time. Soon you will have it at the door, then just outside the door, then in the yard, etc. If that little trick doesn't work, get back to us and we will come up with something else.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

5. Remove Advertisements

Thank you! I actually took it a step further, and rubbed a used pad on the grass outside. He actually did not go on that spot, but after saying "Potty" enough times, everything has been GREAT!

He only tinkled two times in his pen area....first time I caught him mid tinkle and said no, clapped my hands, scooped him up ....resulting in a messy gross encounter and rushed him outside and set him down and said "Potty!" he seemed to understand and looked shamefacedly at me. The second time sadly my brother in law was watching him...and needless to say he should not own a dog later.

I once had a dog that would not go when on the leash. I know it may not be possible to follow this advice if you have to take your dog outside where there are leash laws, but if possible try to have the dog on an extendible leash so that it can get a little further away from you. That was all it took to solve the problem with that dog.

Try introducing a word that your dog can associate when he goes out. You can try the word "busy". and when he goes to the place where you want him to pee, make sure to praise him. I believe positive reinforcement would go a long way.

See to it that you take him outside after every meal. Also before and after waking up. This might take a while but you will be successful in the long run.

Dog in crate all the time.
    Outside crate, always on leash, even in the house.

Never a bad word to the dog, even if he eliminates in crate. Just clean the crate, but don't let him play, while you clean, or short after he eliminated in the crate.

Take him outside to a dedicated potty area. Mark the area with something for you to remember, flags, rocks, tree, etc.
    Say 'go potty' several time, until he does. Then praise, praise, hugs, whatever makes both of you happy.

If he doesn't eliminate within 5 min, don't say anything. (Don't play or interact with your dog during the 5 min other than saying 'go potty') So, he didn't do anything, then take him back to the crate. Don't talk, don't praise, don't play.

He will get the message in no time. Just be consistent, and don't feel bad, that he has to be in his crate. Dogs love crates, believe it or not, they do.

Good luck!

Puppies have to pee and poop somewhere. Make sure it's outside

Puppies azre creatures of habit.
    They like doing things (like play, pee, poop etc) on a regular time basis.

If your pup holds its pee when you're outside the house, use that time to give the pup a vigorous walk/run.
    That usually loosen their hold on pee etc.

Good luck. Read advice from all over. ONE bit of the right advice might be the magic key.
    Tip: Google "Pee and poop outside" or "How to potty train your puppy" and see what you can learn from other pup owners.

The dogs can not hold pee and its not their mistake so never be rude to them on this thing. If you are thinking that your pup is taking too much time to get trained for potty training then you could take the help of a good trainer or you may also take the help of books too.

I once had a problem like that before and it was horrible... good thing we have some great tips here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast