Puppy wont potty train!!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Seadog

Thread: Puppy wont potty train!!!!

Question Puppy wont potty train!!!!

My puppy is a 4 month old female husky/shepard/wolf mix and we have followed the training tips about pottying. We let her out every 2 hours day and night, but she still pottys in house. We walk her every morning and afternoon. We are at our witend because everything we are doing and she still potty in house. we crate trained her but having problems with her pottiing in their to. We got a bigger crate for my older dog and the only way we can stop her from pottying in the creat is to put her in the bigger crate with our other dog. We let her out and she can stay out their for more then hour and nothing but then when she comes inside we end up finding poo or pee on the floor. I dont know what else we can do Im hopein some one can give me some more tips or advise on how to stop her from useing my house as a bathroom!?!?!

2. Remove Advertisements

When is she pottying in the house? How do you react to it? How do you react when she potties outside? How large is her crate? Is she both peeing and pooping inside or just one? Do you live in a house or apartment?
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

If your puppy is piddling that frequently it might have a bladder infection or kidney infection. (It's always important to rule out a physical problem)

Some dogs at 4 months old are mature enough to understand the potty concept, whereas others are not so it simply may take her more time.
    If she is in good health, then it sounds as if s he totally doesn't understand the concept, in which case you need to examine what and how you are doing this.
    When you put her out, do you repeat the "pee" word? so that she makes an association?
    What do you do when she falters?
    How do you react?
    There are several potential reasons why she isn't holding it until outside and you really have to isolate the reason why so that you can make positive changes.
    I know... it's frustrating!

5. Remove Advertisements

Don't just let her out, go out with her. Watch her until she relieves herself, then have a big celebration!
    Bill and Syn like this.

Your dog is still very much a baby - 4 months is a bit young to expect her to be house trained. Take her out after every sleep and meal and encourage her by saying 'toilet'. Don't come in before she performs and praise her - 'good girl' - when she does something. My dog still went in the house even though he was very responsive outdoors and there was a pool and/or heap every morning until he was 8-9 months old. She will have to be a lot older before she goes through the night without an accident.

Syn
    I had a Labx many years ago that did this. I wanted to cry infrustration..... outside was great time to play and sniff, I stayed out one time for three hours before I went back inside (so I could go) took him with me so he would go potty inside while I was not looking..... back out we went. I knew for FACT that pup could hold it five hours later I could not keep my eyes open any longer and he won.... The first thing he did was potty right inside the door.

I learned to compromise.... I installed a doggie door, two days later he never potty inside the house again.

I did work with him after we figured out the outside potty idea. Started closing the doggie dog for house training again and he remembered about going outside.

Sometimes to compromise with them helps them to understand.
    women and cats will do as they please,
    men and dogs need to get used to the fact.

My labradoodle is 23 weeks old and still sometimes wees in the house. She stays dry all night then sometimes I stand outside with her for ages then she will go back in and wee. There is no pattern. I take her out a lot and she doesnt often stay in the house alone. She is indoors for a couple of hours once a week when I go to college and if I go into town and I come home and its usually dry. But then other times she will just do both toilets in the house. I dont tell her off but when she wees outside I make sure I get really excited for her. Im doing pretty good at staying on top of it all but the one thing worrying me is that she doesnt yet know how to ask. Is this normal for her age? My last dog only took 2 weeks to train and from 4 months never had a single accident in the house unless she was ill and of course in the last few weeks of her life which is understandable. Cant think what Im doing wrong?? Spose we just have to persevere.

+ Reply to Thread