How long?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long?

How long?

Hi
    I am new to the forum and have just welcomed a 9 week rottweiler to the family. I am fairly expereinced with dogs and my other dog (a border terrier, 18 months) house trained fairly well and has use of a dog/cat flap.

I am trying the advise from this site (Puppy House Training | House Train Your Dog The Right Way | Potty Training Puppy) to restrict access to the house and taking her out every hour etc. as I think this will also help her get used to her crate better than Dexter did. This is working really well in terms of no accidents in the house so far ( couple in her crate because I got my timing all wrong but I seem to have it sussed now). I only work 2 days a week so have plenty of time to devote to getting her trained properly and am off work until the new year. My question is do you have any idea how long this method takes as it is quite labour intensive and getting up twice a night to put her out is a bit tiring and when I go back to work she will be in her crate for about 4 hours - she will be about 14 weeks then?

Thanks
    Tom

2. Remove Advertisements

By 14-weeks old she should be able to hold her potty for 4-6 hours at a time. Potty training can take anywhere from a week or two to a few months depending on how consistent you are and how easily your pup catches on with the concept. Try using a word for her to associate with the act and incorporate lots of praise and a treat when she eliminates in the proper area. I use the word, "potty" for my dog. When I began house-training my dog I would take him outside and say "potty" and while he was eliminating I would continue to say, "potty" when he was finished I would praise him profusely and give him a treat.

+ Reply to Thread