The untrainable puppy??
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tom_cairns
  • 1 Post By Bill

Thread: The untrainable puppy??

The untrainable puppy??

Hi,

We've got a 14wk old beagle pup who we've had for 8wks now. We've followed all the advice on house training and he knows that he's not allowed to mess in the house and 7/10 times he does go to the back door to tell us he needs to go out. But every other time he doesn't ask to go out, he just wees (never poos) wherever he wants in the house. We have an open plan house so he's contained via a big baby gate to a single area of the lounge which includes the back door when we're out or can't watch him, the rest of the time he has free run of the larger lounge. I'm sure he knows he shouldn't go in the house because if he goes outside he looks for a treat, but he doesn't do this if he goes in the house. Also, he wees in his area if we're out (even though he'll go before we leave), even if we're only out for an hr or so. He's never left for more than 3hrs at a time and that's rare.

Also, he's not yet 'dry' overnight, is this normal? It's not too much of a problem over night, I put a single bit of paper by the door (a sleep condition prevents me being able to get up to him) and he uses that usually just once.

Will we ever 'crack it'? Does anyone have any ideas of why he might be being so stuburn when it comes to house trainning? He has mastered the 'sit' and 'come' and 'fetch' commands so I know he's not stupid!

I'm beginning to pull my hair out with him so any suggestions would be helpful. I'm starting to wonder if we've taken on too much - he's not 'safe' in our house yet which makes me very stressed when we visit my parents or in-laws house which is no good for anyone.

Thanks everyone.

2. Remove Advertisements

I have a 20 week old and she wasn't totally reliable at 14 weeks. She is now. She was going overnight by 14 weeks but she sleeps in a crate and that hepled as they don't like to wee near their beds.

It is about bladder control I think; at 14 weeks she knew but at times she just went in the house in random places - then one day she didn't anymore.
    Hope that is reassuring
    littlelizrees likes this.

Beagles are not easy to house train but it will happen. Don't ever fuss at him for going inside. Praise heavily and treat when he goes outside. I think its not that he doesn't catch on, he just doesn't care. At least thats my theory about beagles. 14 weeks is about borderline time to have enough control to hold it all night. I hate to suggest this but you might try getting up around 2 or 3 am and let him out for a few weeks.
    littlelizrees likes this.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

5. Remove Advertisements

Thanks guys, I am reassured that we wll get there eventually - I guess we just need to stick with it. Lucky for him he's too cute to get angry at!! And lucky for me we have laminate floor not carpet

+ Reply to Thread