Potty Training for a 3yr Almost 4yr Old Dog.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TeddyGirl

Thread: Potty Training for a 3yr Almost 4yr Old Dog.

Exclamation Potty Training for a 3yr Almost 4yr Old Dog.

Hi My name is Teddy and I have a 3 yr old (Will be 4 on July 5th.) He is a German Shepherd/Jack Russel Terrier Mix. I adopted him from a shelter. According to his papers he was in there for 6 months. On the day I adopted him he was also neutered. So I thought "He went through a stressful day. Just give him some time and he'll be okay." Well I adopted him 2011 and it's been 7 almost 8 months and It's still going on! I am 16 and my mom doesn't like this at all (Not that I can blame her!) And she says it this continues on much longer she'll get rid of him.

I take him out several times a day, he gets lots of exercise and is very healthy, through he might be a little overweight. I can get him to pee outside. (He still goes inside on occasion) But I cannot get him to poop outside. I am thinking of crate training him, and a lot of website says it good for your dog and you. But I hate the idea of locking him up.

I am open to any suggestions! Please help me.

2. Remove Advertisements

I have read all the threads in this section of the forum and I realized that I could have gone into more detail so you all may help me. My dog's name is Jed and we adopted him July 5th, 2011. After we adopted him within a few days we had him checked out by the vet. And everything was fine.

He often pees outside, but will occasionally go inside. He always poops outside. He isn't our first dog. We had a Female dog Named Tee-Tee. She was put to sleep a year ago. She died at the age of 17 or 18.

So far here are the measure we have taken with Jed. I take him out every 1-2 hours. When he goes outside I give him lots of praise and a treat. Almost every time I take him out he pees, but sometimes within minutes of us coming back inside he poops. I've even pick up the poop (With Toilet Paper) and put it outside so he knew where he can go, but this didn't work out.

I bought this spray for puppies. You spray a little where you want them to potty, but this didn't work either (7 buck I'll never get back). And I used to yell at him. But when I read online you shouldn't do this I stopped. When he poops inside I take him to where he poops and firmly tell him no.

As a result of my extensive research (Several weeks) I will be putting a gate up in the doorway of my room. (He sleep in my bed with me) Since dogs do not like to go potty in there immediate sleeping area, I'm hoping this will get the ball rolling. But I still want/need suggestions. If you have any questions just ask I will be willing to answer them.
    Violetbutterfly likes this.

Use a crate until he is potty trained. After that, there is no need for it unless he is chewing stuff. I don't think the gate is going to stop the pooping.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

5. Remove Advertisements

Thanks. It worked last night. The Gate I mean. Is there also a way to stop him from getting into the garbage?

Put the garbage where he can't get to it. Use one of those cans that you have to step on a tab to open the lid. Don't put food items in trash cans other than the one in the kitchen that he can't get into.
    Bill

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

He tips the can over to get into it. >.>

In that case you will have to keep the can in a place he can't get to such as under a cabinet. You might have to gate off the kitchen where he can't get in.
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread