Potty Training an Older Dog - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Potty Training an Older Dog

This little fella is only 8 months old. I am a little confused by his behavior. I know he is young but he has been living with the owner for 8 months already so I am not sure whether she just didn't tell me he was not so good on the potty, or whether the change in location has confused him.

When he first moved in he did use the toilet correctly a few times. He sometimes only put his front legs on it, which meant he would not always be on target. He soon just started going wherever he liked (except my bedroom) as I mentioned before, my natural reaction was to scold him, but when I started realising I might have a problem on my hands, I looked online and read not to scold. As Bill mentioned, I have now inadvertently taught him not to potty in front of me, so of late I have had him in a penned off area and taking him to his potty. He didn't like me being around, but he evetually did it in the right place a few times and I rewarded him immediately with a treat and praise. I thought we were making progress, but yesterday he would not go. I took him to his toilet maybe 5 times for about 10 minutes each time, he would walk around a lot and then just sit down looking bored. I tried one last time before I went to bed but he didn't go so I put him in his pen. Maybe 10 minutes later I could hear him whining and when I went outside he had done both number1's and 2's in his pen.

I have now decreased the size of his pen so that it just contains space for his basket and water and food bowl in the hope that this stops him doing it again.

I sincerely hope he learns what to do as it's not pleasant getting up in the night and walking barefooted through dog urine . Is it normal for dogs this young to have problems like this? Does this behavior sound strange at all to anyone? Does anyone have any further advice?!

Much appreciated as always.

2. Remove Advertisements

Sounds like he is just having a little problem figuring it out. He will eventually. Never saw a dog that never figured it out.
    Sutiive likes this.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

I just wanted to say stick with it, he will work it out, but I know how exhausting it can be when trying to settle a new dog into your home. Don't give up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12