treats for puppy
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: treats for puppy

treats for puppy

Hi, Advice on getting Buddy into good habits please. We are using pads and taking him outside at regular intervals. Should I give him a treat when he performs on
    pad. am hoping to move pad nearer the door gradually, though (WHEN he remembers to use it!) Mouthing and tugging at trouser leg. I am using diversion and
    walking out of room , should I give him a treat when he is diverted.If I do and I reduce his meals, it could mean there is actually a VERY small amount in his dish.He IS getting a bit better, he is only 8 weeks old and think he could have stayed with him mum a bit longer. I am trying to be her and yelping when he hurts and walking away from him!! advice appreciated want to do right by him.Hes so cute but want him to be a Nice dog.

2. Remove Advertisements

I'm a newbie when it comes to pets and I'm also learning in training our dog too. Some friends of mine advise not to give treats to puppies as he/she might forget what he did, like missing the point of reinforcing the good deed. However other people would say, treats would work for puppies who are food motivated. so I guess it would depend on your pet's personality

STA70144.jpg

Hi

I would definately use treats when he performs on his mat, and also put a command to it as well. Use a different command for whatever he is producing! By using a command you will eventually be able to get him to toilet anywhere, this can sometimes be quite difficult for puppies, when needing to go away from home. Timing is the crucial thing when rewarding, whether with a food reward or with praise, so the treat must be given instantly, at least to start with and while he is still on the mat. If the pieces of food that you use for a reward are small enough then it shouldn't really make too much difference to the amount you feed him. I usually use pieces that are the size of my little fingernail.

As for giving a reward when he is diverted or you yelp when he mouthes too hard, then I would say that a 'Good boy' in a very happy voice, whould be enough. If this sets the mouthing/tugging off again, then turn your back on him and ignore for just a few seconds, then perhaps divert him into learning how to do something like a sit or down.

Dog's definately learn quicker using food as a reward, and I wold suggest that you have a variety of different choices of treats for him, so that things he finds more difficult get the 'higher value' reward, which could be something like a piece of hotdog or chicken. Once you have commands on 'cue' then you can start to only reward the best responses.

Regards Jan

+ Reply to Thread