Barking problems
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking problems

Post Barking problems

Hi, I am getting to know my new pup.A bearded collie x lurcher. Buddy is settling in well, sleeping 7 hours without messing and in general a good little dog.My problem is next door we have two dacshounds, who have been yappy since they were pups.They both yap at the slightest sound of anyone going into our garden.Our last old dog was deaf and toook no notice.Their owners issue no commands to them, ,merely." oh you shouldnt bark" Now little Buddy has been here a week and has juststarted barking back.Now one dog owner has to control the barking, i.e. me. as I want him not to join in the screeching bark they omit.What can I do. considering the neighbours are nice, but the kiss em and laugh mentality. so its goona have to come from my side a,d they wont admit their dogs have always barked at everything, they just say they are barking back at Buddy!

2. Remove Advertisements

What a lovely mix, Buddy sounds lovely. I can't help much with the barking issue except to tell you not to let him get into the habit of barking. I think you need make him sit each time he barks and , then byou should not leave him outside, if he barks outside make him sit then bring him in.

yes you need to correct him everytime he barks or focuses on their barking so he will learn to just not pay attention to the yappers next door and doesnt get into the bad habit of excessive barking.

5. Remove Advertisements

I agree with the other you don't want to let this become a habit, I would call him away everytime he starts to join in the barking. I guess you could also teach the puppy a specific command for barking - like "talk" and a "quiet" command, so he knows to stop barking too.

yes distract him away from the barking dogs and involve him in a time of play. Make it positive and happy. dogs want to please their owners so take his attention to you. use this time as a learning experience and train him starting with a basic sit......puppies learn fast, when Hershey was in a puppy obedience and I worked with him at home, the other 4 pups and even some of the adult dogs followed Hersheys lead. I would have 8 dogs all sitting around waiting for their reward I loved it

I'd get working on this fast, too, because otherwise, he'll ignore you. A new pup -- how fun!!

Thanks for all advice, cant quite believe it, we have had him 2 weeks now, he is only 8.5 weeks old. and comes when called away! thanks

Well done. All the effort that you put in at this stage will save a lot of work later on.

Are you still having issues with barking? I recently read a book called 'WCS Pocket Guid: Dogs' & it suggested rattling a soda can with a few coins whenever he barks to startle him & firmly say Quiet. We just started this today with Rocky & he seems to be responding so far. He doesn't like the rattling sound.

It will certainly be good if you can train him to respond to the command to be quiet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast