Pippa is very mouthy!!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pippa is very mouthy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Any advice on how to stop a dog from barking when they just want to play or are excited? Ignoring hasn't really extinguished that behavior either.
    When you put her in the crate to go to work, just matter of factly do it. No more fuss than is absolutely necessary. Pick her up and put her in the crate and leave. No long goodbys nor baby talk or any of that stuff. Just in the crate and you're gone. Also don't make it a big deal when you return home. Come in, change clothes, mess around a little before you give the pup any attention.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

2. Remove Advertisements

Pippa is very mouthy

Thanks Bill.I appreciate your calm sensible approach. I think I'm like I was when I had my first baby. I was afraid to even take a shower because I didn't want my baby traumatized by crying even a bit. I tend to worry about things too much. Pippa and I are walking each morning at 5:30 before I leave for work at 7:30 so maybe she'll be tired and ready to sleep (and maybe I'll get skinny!) I'll do just as you said and not make a big deal of it. I'll check back in in a few weeks and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Reading Bill's very sensible advice reminded me that it is rather like when a child goes to a childminder or starts school, being very matter of fact and not fussing helps the child to settle more easily. It is not so different with dogs. If you are worried that the puppy is barking or making a noise for a long time after you leave ask a neighbour to listen or leave something recording what the puppy does. Even if she makes a fuss when left she probably settles very quickly when you are gone (just like kids). Good luck with the training, it will get better.

5. Remove Advertisements

I think the crate idea is great advice. Our two dogs (labs) are pretty vocal, but not annoyingly so (thank God).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12