Is crate training cruel? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is crate training cruel?

Put him in the crate to bring him home. It will be OK.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

2. Remove Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
    Hi Everyone -
    I'm just evaluating what training method to use to housebreak a new puppy (I don't have one yet - still in the education stage!), and the general consensus seems to be crate training is the way to go. I can't help by feel its kind of cruel/mean to keep a young animal "locked in a cage" - anyone have thoughts on this?
    Thanks!
    Hi a crate is a very good thing to have and to use for your dog 3 of my dogs sleep in them at night i sleeps on my bed and my puppy is in a puppy pen in my front room. It is not cruel at all.xx

I think people get concerned because of the idea of locking up the dogs, but really their door is usually open. It's only closed when I need to be, like visitors or something they don't know. I don't like those closed up ones, though, where they can't see. As I said, mine is clear all the way around. They can see everything.

5. Remove Advertisements

Puppy Training

It is best to establish a close bond with your puppy prior to doing any training. You should not cage him yet. Having a close bond is a key to an easier and successful dog training. Laos, your dedication, time, and patience are important do successfully do this. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard321 View Post
    It is best to establish a close bond with your puppy prior to doing any training. You should not cage him yet. Having a close bond is a key to an easier and successful dog training. Laos, your dedication, time, and patience are important do successfully do this. Hope this helps!
    Hi you can still have a close bond with your puppy even if you somtimes crate him. I show my dogs and they had to get used to a crate from being a puppy it does not harm them at all.3 of my dogs go into there crates at night in my bedroom they like there crates.xx

Ken
    no it is the first thing that should be done with a new pup.It is simple to train for the crate,when you feed the pup feed in the crate and do not at first close the door when you do start to secure the door do it in short time periods. Have owned many dogs,also many breeds many were working breeds that We traveled with,all dogs and bitches were crated in the van(or pu truck) it is a safe place for the dog and for your safety.If by chance you have a accident that dogs is now a projectile bounceing in the vechicle.If you plan on purchasing a pup(dog) you now have an obligation for the up keep and training of that dog.Living with a well trained dog is a joy and fun for both owner and dog,basic ob is a great start.If you purchase a dog have fun,for you and the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    I think people get concerned because of the idea of locking up the dogs, but really their door is usually open. It's only closed when I need to be, like visitors or something they don't know. I don't like those closed up ones, though, where they can't see. As I said, mine is clear all the way around. They can see everything.
    Hi most crates or Cages are all clear all the way round they are very good for your dogs if you have more then one dog. They are very good for the car to put them in better then leaving them free in the car . I would never leave them in one all day or all night they should be free if you are in. I think sometimes if you go out if you have a kitchen with a door then leave your dog in there. My dogs go in there cages at night with the door shut i could not have them free in my bedroom only one of mind is he is the oldest one and the first American Cocker i had.They are only in them when i am asleep.xx

How long would be the chewing stage? Would it depend on the kind of dog that you have?

The one I was given with my puppy wasn't clear all the way around and when I've gone shopping, there are many options that are like 3 walls and a door. I don't like those at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Orrymain View Post
    The one I was given with my puppy wasn't clear all the way around and when I've gone shopping, there are many options that are like 3 walls and a door. I don't like those at all.
    Hi do you mean you don't like cages with a door on it all cages have doors.???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast