Feeding Schedule?! Better or worse?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feeding Schedule?! Better or worse?

Feeding Schedule?! Better or worse?

I do not currently have a dog. I had to put my BF down in July. Swore I would never get another, but I am looking. haha Everydog I have ever owned has always had a bowl of food available to them as well as water all day and night. And if I walked by and it was empty I would just fill it up. I thought I have read somewhere that it is better to say feed them in the morning, and after XXX amount of time pic it up, same with the water. Then repeat in the evening. I think it had something to do with controling when they would have to go to the bathroom, but not sure. Any thoughts? Comments? Concerns?
    Pitbulls are WONDERFUL SWEET dogs! It is the ^%$&(*)_ owners that train them and abuse them to be mean!

2. Remove Advertisements

Syn
    Hello Zombiedog,

I have always free fed my dog and cats. Like you I keep the bowl full.
    I personally have found it keeps them from inhailing their food to fast only to have it come back up. Also for myself... I beleive if they have food down all the time they don't look for other things that could harm them, and they seem not to become fat from it, it's always there, so they nibble at it.

I have had some newer dogs gorge themselves, but they figure out its always there and slow down. BUT I am sure there is that one dog out there, who would end up like a beached whale. Then, I would first think medical, if that happened.

Everyone feeds differently for their dog, this is a great place to find some different answers.
    women and cats will do as they please,
    men and dogs need to get used to the fact.

STA70144.jpg

Hi

I have never been keen on leaving food down all day. One of the reasons being that if your dog has recently eaten, which you may not be aware of, then you exercise your dog, you are putting your dog at risk of bloat. This is potentially fatal. This also applies after exercise as well, if they are panting a lot after a walk, then gulp a lot of air down with their food, and a lot of water as well then again this can put your dog at risk of bloat.

You are right that by feeding at set times it is easier to know when your dog is likely to toilet.

I am not a great fan of 'complete' foods for dogs anyway, as too much rubbish goes into them, and if you leave fresh food down, then there is also a hygiene risk, especially in hot weather.

I have found that feeding my dogs twice a day, has always worked for me.

As for dogs scavenging, I think that certain breeds would still do this, even if food was available all the time.

Good luck with your hunt for a dog.

Jan

5. Remove Advertisements

I feed all mine once a day. I used to feed twice a day, but this only seemed to stimulate their appetites and they spent the rest of the day looking for more food. Mine get a raw diet [raw meat and raw bones] - following how a wolf would eat. In this respect a wolf would eat when they made a kill and then eat to satisfaction or until there was nothing worth eating left. Mine seem far happier with one big meal. They get feed in the afternoon/evening - times vary, after all the walks are over. This is what suits my dogs. I think you are right with taking up food and water if you have a puppy and are working around toilet training issues, etc.

STA70143.jpg

I was thinking how any my retrievers would have been if food had been left down for them all day. Well it wouldn't have lasted long, in fact all of them would have eaten themselves silly, and then eat again if the dish was refilled. Total pigs that they were. I think that goes for most of the Retriever breeds. It would also not have stopped them from going out and eating anything else that may be remotely edible. I think that a Retrievers motto, especially a Labrador's is 'If it's there, eat it!'

I really would like to try raw feeding Stephanie, but having had a couple of dogs react quite badly to it, even when introduced gradually, so I am a bit nervous about trying it again. I feed as natural as possible though.

I think it is a good idea to use a feeding schedule while you are potty training but never leave your dog/puppy without water. Also take into consideration the breed of dog you're purchasing as some breeds will just keep eating if food is always there and others won't.

Ok I did get my puppy over the weekend. A very handsome bluenose pit 8 weeks old. I know LOTS of people don't like pitbulls, this is my fourth one, last one I had to put down in July at the ripe old age of 15. Anyway, I have experience with them and do not wish to debate with anyone about good or bad NOT made as a nasty comment at all, please don't take it that way. ANYWAY, we have been feeding him about 3-4 times a day, small portions, (he doesn't even eat all of that LOL) As soon as he wakes up we take him out, bring him in, some food and water, take him back out again and it seems to be working pretty well. We also bought those pee pads, (wasn't real keen on the idea at first), he will urniate in his crate during the night on the pee pads. (in far back of crate) but will not deficate on them, he reserves that for the patio. Once he is housebroken all together, I MAY go back to constant sourse of food, but I don't think so.

Cheers
    Pitbulls are WONDERFUL SWEET dogs! It is the ^%$&(*)_ owners that train them and abuse them to be mean!

He's not old enough to hold it all night. If you want to get up around 2am to take him out, he probably won't pee in his crate at all.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

I prepare to use an automatic pet feeder that has a timer, It is very effective and convenient to use because it can keep my pet healthy. Feeding schedule is a great advantage to keep our lovely pets healthy!

As we human beings need a schedule for healthy living, same is the case with your furry friends. If their bowls are full all the time then it may make them lazy and fatty and hence schedule is better. Actually I got my dogs groomed from Boom Towne and they had suggested me to feed the dogs at some intervals and from that time I, myself have a schedule for my dogs and give them food and water at some intervals and I found that my dogs are more active than before.

+ Reply to Thread