Crate Training: Puppy crying to get out
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crate Training: Puppy crying to get out

Crate Training: Puppy crying to get out

I may be answering my own question in my brief description of the problem? We have an 8 weekend old pit that would brought home 3 days ago. We want to crate train him. We were orginally using a large carrier, but he cried ALL the time when in it. While at my daughters he was in an out of her pits crate all day without any problems. (the door was never closed) So we took my sons pit's crate he was no longer using and set that up in out guest room. He will go in and out, (treats and toys in the crate) but as soon as we close the door to go to bed he starts crying. (at that point he has been feed, watered, and taken out to go potty) If someone stays in the rooms with him he will eventually go to sleep but I don't want to stay in the room with him every night. And as soon as he wakes up he starts crying. We live in a twin that we JUST moved into 2 days ago, (two house connected) I don't want to start off on the wrong food with the new neighbors? Any suggestions on how to get him to stop crying?

Thank You!!!
    Pitbulls are WONDERFUL SWEET dogs! It is the ^%$&(*)_ owners that train them and abuse them to be mean!

2. Remove Advertisements

Wolf puppies in the wild are never left alone until they are almost grown. You have to remember this little guy has just been taken away from his mother and siblings and is probably afraid when left alone. He feels he may have just been deserted with no way to get food. I ALWAYS suggest to let a new puppy sleep in the room with you. He can smell you and hear you breathing during the night and he knows he isn't alone. This is the best way to treat a new puppy in your home. If you are not willing to do that the only other option you have is to just let him cry. If you do anything to try to stop it, you have rewarded his crying. He has gotten you in the room with him.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

I would reiterate what Bill said. When we got our last puppy, the first night he howled like crazy. The next night we decided to have him (in his crate) in our room and he settled immediately. I was stunned at how just knowing we were there helped him settle.

Our new pup slept with us for the first 2 nights (in her crate) but has setteld really quickly and is now in another room but with the other dog (separate crates) and apart from letting us know she needs to go to the toilet is quiet as can be.

5. Remove Advertisements

I didn't get a chance to read your replys until just now this morning. The funny part is that is EXACTLY what we did last night and it was like a miracle! When we put him to bed he started crying, my wife said she was too tired to play games. So we moved the crate into our bedroom at the foot of our bed. Zombie whined for about 1 minute, we told he to hush, and he was asleep. AND only got up once during the night for a potty and food break. THANK YOU
    Pitbulls are WONDERFUL SWEET dogs! It is the ^%$&(*)_ owners that train them and abuse them to be mean!

+ Reply to Thread