what is a tried good way of house training a small breed dog
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what is a tried good way of house training a small breed dog

what is a tried good way of house training a small breed dog

hi all i read a post about Alfa Males in the house and Alfa Females in the house and wanted to know what the best way to tackle my lil troublesome thought. Koopa he is 6 wks old and has just started to follow my partner around and pay lots of attention too him but Lil Koopa is mine I fear he is going to listen to my partner instead of me I'm just guessing that I will have to inform my partner on how I want training to commence. Also Koopa is mini foxy cross caviler? And is as small as a shoe I'm having trouble determining if he is doing a wee as sometimes he is standing sometimes stretching and sometimes squat sitting but in the way he normally sits and don't see the stream until it hits the floor and changes the colour of the carpet. What method of toilet training works well for this small breed as he is flipping out when I put him in a safety gate sealed off room and won't pee or poop on any scedual as yet? i read a post about catching him and waiting with him in the desired place i want him to do potty i have tried it but no luck as yet, although he eats and drinks very lil amounts even when i offer to him? some guidence would be appriciated.
    cheers aussiepuppy
    IMG_1441.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements

There is nothing special about house training a small breed dog over a large breed dog. You train them both the same way. As for him being your dog instead of your partner's, he will mostly follow the person who feeds him and gives him the most attention. There are multiple threads on here about house training a puppy. He is very young. How long have you had him?
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

hello thank you for helping me with some of my concerns and yes i have been reading posts as you are aware a lot of the same question is asked i have noticed i only asked as in a few posts their has been speculation on different behavioural issues with large and small dogs so as you could imagine some answers contradict themselfs. he like i said is 6wks and we have had him for 1 week he has had his vaccinations and has been wormed and frontline flea spraied i do realaze that this process will take time and lots of concistancy thanks again

5. Remove Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiepuppy View Post
    hi all i read a post about Alfa Males in the house and Alfa Females in the house and wanted to know what the best way to tackle my lil troublesome thought. Koopa he is 6 wks old and has just started to follow my partner around and pay lots of attention too him but Lil Koopa is mine I fear he is going to listen to my partner instead of me I'm just guessing that I will have to inform my partner on how I want training to commence. Also Koopa is mini foxy cross caviler? And is as small as a shoe I'm having trouble determining if he is doing a wee as sometimes he is standing sometimes stretching and sometimes squat sitting but in the way he normally sits and don't see the stream until it hits the floor and changes the colour of the carpet. What method of toilet training works well for this small breed as he is flipping out when I put him in a safety gate sealed off room and won't pee or poop on any scedual as yet? i read a post about catching him and waiting with him in the desired place i want him to do potty i have tried it but no luck as yet, although he eats and drinks very lil amounts even when i offer to him? some guidence would be appriciated.
    cheers aussiepuppy
    Attachment 498
    You can start with small steps, by taking it out for a walk, making it play and you can also refer to personal pet trainer. I guess they will help you more and will train puppies more cleverly.
    Dogs are smart and loyal pets

Use treats to teach a small dog to sit, to lie down and to stay - just as you would with a large breed. If he has a tendency to jump on you, turn your back immediately, fold your arms in front of you and don't move your feet. When he stops jumping, give him attention with praise and a pet. Repeat this again and again until he understands jumping is not permissible. If you allow the jumping sometimes and discourage it at other times, you will confuse the puppy.

One of the more useful "tricks" you can teach a small dog is to go to his bed on command. This command is often referred to as "place command" but the term used is up to you. Don't carry the dog to his bed - lead him there. He is to sit and stay until he hears the "release" command of "OK" or another word you choose.

Training a small breed dog to go to his special bed (or his crate) on command will keep him safe if there is a lot of activity in the room and keep him from being tripped over by visitors. It's much easier to open the door to a visitor if you know your dog is safely in his bed rather than poised to run out when the door opens.

Training your small dog can keep him safe and make him a total pleasure to be around. He's willing to learn anything you can teach him. Use short frequent training sessions, positive reinforcement and kindness and you'll have a pet that will become a welcome part of your family.

I have recently become the owner of an 11 week old Sprocker. He has been with me less than a week and was trained to pee on a puppy pad in less than two days.

The first time he peed on the carpet I dabbed the puppy pad on the pee so the pad has his smell on it. The next time he wanted to pee he went straight to the pad and has not soiled the floor since. I am now gradually moving the pad closer to the door.

I am now working on getting him to 'go' outside.

I take him outside every hour without fail and stand with him for 15 minutes or until he has done his stuff. If he doesn't perform I take him inside until the next hour is up or he looks like he wants to go.

As soon as he wakes from a nap and immediately he has finished his food I take him outside and stand with him until he does his business. When he does I praise him enthusiastically. You could use a treat as well if your puppy is food orientated.

I don't react at all when he uses the pad in the house and only reward him when he 'goes' outside. Hopefully it shouldn't be long before he gets the message and I can get rid of the pad.

Reward good behaviour and ignore bad behaviour. Never punish a dog for peeing on the floor, just quietly clean it up and be more vigilant. It is your job to watch him and take him outside when you think he needs to go.

So, remember to ALWAYS take him outside as soon as he wakes and as soon as he has finished eating.

It may be a while before your puppy is reliably clean in the house but. with patience and diligence you will get there.

Have fun with your new puppy although 5 weeks is very early to be leaving its mother and very early to have complete his vaccinations.
    Last edited by karen21; 06-28-2013 at 06:58 AM.

Most owners of small dogs handle their pets quite differently than owners of larger breeds. For example, big dogs must learn voice commands like “come” and “stay,” in part so their owners can keep them safe. Many small dogs never receive this training because their owners find it easier to simply pick them up and move them out of harm’s way.

Small dogs (25 pounds or less) also seem to bring out a very strong protective instinct in their owners. The little guys seem so vulnerable that their safety is a constant worry. Unfamiliar dogs are an immediate threat. Rough play with bigger dogs could result in a crushing injury or broken neck. Eating non-food items is potentially much more dangerous for a tiny dog than a larger breed. And the list of small-dog dangers goes on.

House Angels, Street Devils
    Confronting the Small Dog Stereotype
    Training Tips for the Tiny Ones
    Make Your Pets Healthier and Happier!

Start with some basic dog commands, be patient, and you will succeed.

I know some people that love this book and you can get it free

I know some people that love this book and you can get it free
    Celebrity dog trainer, YouTube sensation,
    and Animal Planet star Zak George presents a next-generation
    guide that uses his infectiously energetic style to
    dog-lovers everything they need to know about
    raising and training their unique pup.
    Right now you can get it FREE
    https://amzn.to/30b9TkG

+ Reply to Thread