Potty trained pup peeing when she sees new people
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Potty trained pup peeing when she sees new people

Potty trained pup peeing when she sees new people

Our 5 month German Shepherd is potty trained but when someone comes over or our roommate comes down stairs she pees EVEN when we've just taken her outside and she's gone already!!!! how do you fix this !??!?!?!?!?! also she has a TERRIBLE habit of jumping all over people when they sit on the couch what do we do!?!?!?!

2. Remove Advertisements

This is called "submissive peeing" and its pretty normal with puppies. In the dog world it means, "please don't hurt me, I'll do whatever you say." This will go away as the pup matures. Have the roommate or other people to maintain a calm demeanor as to not get the pup excited or frightened.

As for jumping up, don't give her the opportunity to do so. WHen company comes, keep her on a leash and away from company until she has calmed down. Have her stay by you while you are sitting away from the company. (Company on couch, you in a chair or vice versa.) When the pup has settled down, put down the leash. MOst likely the pup will continue to stay there but if she gets up and goes over to check out the guest, let her do it as long as she is calm about it. If she starts doing something you don't like such as jumping up or anything else you don't like, CALMLY get up, pick up the leash (still attached to the pup) and lead her back to your chair and start over again. In time she will learn she has to behave in order to have freedom while company is there. Don't yell or get upset when the pup when she screws up, it only makes things worse. Also, have your company maintain a calm demeanor. Company has a tendency to act real excited and this only excites the pup. YOU must maintain a calm demeanor throughout this.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

its good to hear she'll grow out of it. She just gets so excited when she sees people; I think it's a good idea to have her on the leash when company comes over, I have tried it but she will drag me she's pretty strong I'm only 4'11 100lb. I don't want to hand her over to my fiance because I don't want her to be doing it to me when she gets older because she's only going to get bigger and stronger. I want her to learn to listen/respect me. when I get her on the leash she'll start pulling to try to get to the people there's a lot of tension on the leash and space between her and I so I'll pull her back and keep her by my side keep the leash tight but she continues... once we get to the couch we'll sit and I'll try to keep her away from the person but she pulls over to them. so I'll put her back into the crate I know you say be calm but....guh its really frustrating

+ Reply to Thread