buddy has kennel cough - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buddy has kennel cough

I think KC is a strictly viral disease. The fact that your dog got better after a treatment of ABX doesn't mean it actually had any curative action on the disease. I maintain the dog would have gotten well just as fast without the ABX. An old saying around here is "When you have a cold or flu, you can go to the doctor and get a shot and meds and get well in about 3 or 4 days ... or you can do nothing and get well in about 3 or 4 days." I'm a believer in that saying.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

2. Remove Advertisements

As far as my veterinary books say it is a viral/bacterial disease which usually comprises Bordella bronchiseptica (Bacterium) and Parainfluenza (viral). I have also 'googled' this to double check the several books that I have refered to.
    The reason that anti-biotics are given is in case of other complications developing such as Pheumonia.

In the dog show world in the UK there can be real panic if somebody inadvertinately brings a dog to a show, and it then starts coughing there. Elderly dogs and young puppies being more at risk from complications if they catch this disease. Although from what I gather, the dog is almost certainly infectious before it actually starts coughing.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRoo View Post
    As far as my veterinary books say it is a viral/bacterial disease which usually comprises Bordella bronchiseptica (Bacterium) and Parainfluenza (viral). I have also 'googled' this to double check the several books that I have refered to.
    The reason that anti-biotics are given is in case of other complications developing such as Pheumonia.
    Well I guess this is the 2nd time I've been wrong this year.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

5. Remove Advertisements

I think the confusion with people thinking that they are covered with the normal vaccine that is given to protect against Distemper, etc, is that the viruses involved in Kennel Cough are similar to thd Distemper virus, and the Adenovirus is also often involved along with the Parainfluenza 3 virus. I have read that there can sometimes be several different viruses in the dog as well as the B.B bacteria.

As you rightly say a healthy dog will recover in a few day's. Merlin my Lab that got it after the vaccine, I am pretty sure picked it up from the vaccine, which I think for the most part is live vaccine. He was very poorly, witha terrible hacking cough and vomitting up horrible stuff. When I called at the vet with him, he wouldn't have it that he had Kennel Cough, until Merlin was brought in to the surgery, where ie proceeded to cough and vomit all over his nice clean floor. Good job that I had waited in the car, rather than bringing him into the full waiting room while we waited. The vet informed the manufacturers of the vaccine, and the cost of the treatment for anti-biotics that he recieved were met by the manufactuers.

I have had dogs with Kennel Cough since, and indeed Merlin caught it again a couple of years later, presumably a different strain, when my Retriever also got it. Neither were very poorly with it, and did not need to see the vet.

While browsing the net, I have seen that there is another 'new' disease called Canine Influenza. Do you have any information on this.

It seems odd to me that the KC vaccination, which is generally not given, is the only one to be given properly, ie not by injection!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12