How to choose food for a new dog? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to choose food for a new dog?

Maybe it is just a regional thing, if you are in a big city such as London perhaps that makes a difference.

2. Remove Advertisements

Thanks very much for the advice everyone. My sister gave me a long list of instructions for the dog's diet, vaccinations and etc. The dog was and being continued to have raw diet. I really don't know much about these stuff. LOL Do you guys think it's okay to offer the dry dog food once in a while?

Unless there is a specific reason too then why? Some argue that swapping around between raw and kibble isn't good for the dogs digestion. That said, I give mine kibble when visiting family and Ruby and Jakey get it when I go away on holiday too. I don't have a problem with it and I don't feel bad about it either. I do the best I can for them and they get fed a mostly raw diet in less than ideal circumstances - no chance of me getting hold of 'whole' prey, no craigslist here, no hunters in London, no free sources of meat, no co-ops, no nothing........................

At the end of the day, it is your decision to make, my only advice would be to research your kibble choice carefully, there are some really poor quality ones around that I wouldn't feed to a rat.

Also, I am interested to see that you sister mentions vaccinations - how old is the dog? I don't vaccinate my dogs - they are all adults, most times there is absolutely no point, plus I read of far too many cases where dogs react badly to the vaccines, if not immediately, in the future – one such study here - Britfeld.com - Adverse Vaccine Reactions by Dr W. Jean Dodds I am sure Jakey's allergy issues are, in part, if not all, down to all the annual vaccinations he had before we got him.....

You can get a titre test done - this shows the level of immunity the dog has to the diseases, but in most cases it is pointless because even if it comes in low it doesn't mean that the dog doesn't have any immunity, just that the immune system hasn't been exposed recently. In this country some vets have moved from the idea of annual vaccinations from once a year to every 3 years, I believe this is the case in other countries too. Here is a link on it - Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

5. Remove Advertisements

Here is some great information on vaccinations. Be sure to watch all 4 video's. YouTube - ‪Dr. Karen Becker Interviews Dr. Schultz (Part 1 of 4)‬‏
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

I'm in the UK and feed my cats and dogs one of the better brands, James Wellbeloved. The bag of dog food (as I normally refer to it, or dog biscuits) has "kibble" on it. Morrisons sell prepared tripe and lamb bones cheaply that I get him as treats. I also give him carrots, but be prepared for carrotty poo!

First of all, I think that your veterinarian should help you decide what is best for your individual dog. Dogs need nutrients not ingredients! I agree that there are some kibble foods that are complete "junk", but most have been formulated especially to meet nutritional needs of dogs. CORN IS NOT JUNK! Most people are misinformed when they say that corn is nothing more than just a filler. Corn is a very good source of ESSENTIAL amino acids and fatty acids. Feeding raw does not calm a dog down because "you will be eliminating sugar from their system", your dog calms down because you are reducing the amount of energy he will be receiving in his diet. Believe it or not corn provides a lot of energy because it is rich in fatty acids which are healthy for your dog. There are three ESSENTIAL fatty acids ALL dogs MUST have arachidonic acid (not essential for humans), linoleic acid, and alpha-linolinic acid. They get all three from corn. They are important for cell membrane maintenance and the omega 6's have inflammatory properties. Never feed your dogs free choice. Unlike cats, they don't just eat what they need and stop. Feed them specific measured amounts that are calculated based on your dog's ideal weight and specific energy requirements (your vet can show you how to do this!). Do not just put a bowl full of food on the floor and let him eat as much as he will in 5 to 10 minutes. This will only encourage him to eat faster and cause gastric problems.

thanks for all the information guys

plss explain me more about kibbles,what is the food made off.

choosing food for dog:

Know What’s in the Best Dog Food
    Read Ingredients
    Take Glutens and Grains into Consideration
    Check the Facts on By-products
    Look for Adequacy
    Find Feeding Trial Info
    Consider the Guaranteed Analysis
    Ask Your Vet’s Advice
    Do Homework on Your Brand

Hi there.

To figure out how much, either ask your sister how much she did feed them or see a vet (might be a good idea anyway, so potential issues are not blamed on you).
    As to how often, I usually recommend 2 doses a day. Consistent. Change the water each time, refill if needed (usually on hot days).
    About what to feed - I'd go with natural dog food. Here is a list of few most popular/best ranked ones.

I hope this help a bit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12