How to choose food for a new dog?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to choose food for a new dog?

How to choose food for a new dog?

Hi all, I would like to ask for any suggestion what to feed a new dog (2 yrs old). He was just given to me by my sister who's leaving for overseas work. I hope I won't have a hard time looking for something to feed him. I don't have an idea what my sister used to give him. And how often should I feed him with food and water?

2. Remove Advertisements

Water should always be available. Speak to your sister and ask her about what she was feeding - sudden changes in diets can cause tummy upsets in some dogs. It's best to mix old and new food in gradually. Personally I would switch the dog over to a raw diet, that is raw meat and bones, I consider this to be the most appropriate diet for a dog, but I respect the fact that this is not for everyone - each to their own. If you wanted some more info on canned or kibble foods - have a look at the reviews on this site - Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

Kristen, it is important to find out what the dog is used to eating and how often your sister fed it. The dog has a lot of changes to get used to and this will be harder if it has to cope with a change of diet a the same time. It would be a good idea to get the dog checked by a vet to make sure that there are no health problems and you could ask the vet if the dog is the correct weight. If the dog is over or under weight the diet should be adjusted to correct the weight problem, your vet could offer advice on this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Kristen,
    By far the best diet to feed your new dog would be a prey model raw diet. For more information on that click the link in my sig. If you prefer to stick with kibble, you want the one with the highest percentage of protein. You will find that information on a nutrition label on the bag. Two good brands are EVO and Orijen. They are both expensive but you don't feed nearly as much of those two as you do other cheaper brands.

You will NOT find a decent brand in a grocery store and its very difficult to find a good brand in the major box pet stores. Avoid Walmart dog food at any cost.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

Bill What is Kibble? It is a term I have not come across in England and as far as I know the brands that you mention are not sold here. I would just be interested to know what it is.

Kibble is dry dog food. It's sold in bags and is in little chunks. I'm sure you have it over there, you just call it something different.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

That weird Kernow, I am in the UK and everyone I know calls it kibble.........can't wait to read what you call it then........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Kibble is dry dog food. It's sold in bags and is in little chunks. I'm sure you have it over there, you just call it something different.
    Thanks Bill, I am glad someone asked that question, I am aware of dried dog food (we don't use it), but I have never heard it called Kibble. It is an odd word, what does it mean.

Thank you for explaining that Bill. Stephanie, I have had dogs all my life and I have never come across the term kibble. Most of my dogs have been re-homed from reputable centres such as Battersea and Wood Green. They always give advice on feeding and encourage new owners to stick with the diet that they have established the dog on, my vet also has advice sheets about feeding that are handed out on almost every visit, but I have never come across the term kibble. When I saw the word on here I asked one or two of my dog walking friends and I was met with blank looks. To answer your question, I don't really call it anything other than dry dog food, it doesn't really feature in my conversation because I don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    Stephanie, I have had dogs all my life and I have never come across the term kibble.
    WOW - I am amazed to read that! Most 'food' discussions I have with other dog walkers are always about kibbles and who feeds what kibble and what kibbles suits and what kibbles don't etc etc.......kibble is a major topic of conversation in whatever dog setting I am in. I guess the description 'dry dog food' covers it, pretty much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast