Puppy pads
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy pads

Puppy pads

Do you use puppy pads for your indoor dog? Or do they go outside to go to the bathroom. Lets take a quick poll to find out what everyone does. I do not have a dog right now but hope to have one some day.

2. Remove Advertisements

I don't like to use pads anytime. Dogs can learn to wait until someone takes them out. Teaching them on a pad only teaches them that it's ok to go inside and its a tough habit to break later when you don't want them using pads any longer. It doesn't take long to house train a dog. Anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks is usually all it takes.

I do use puppy pads but not for the use they were intended for, they are very good under the cat litter tray because my cat occasionally has poor aim. I have a friend who uses them if she has to leave her elderly dog for several hours, the dog sometimes can't wait and they seem work well in that situation.

5. Remove Advertisements

I was given some when a gal gave me her puppy and she had bought them. I never really used them for the intended purpose. Like Kernow, I've discovered other uses that work.

They are also handy for taking a dog in the car either to line the cage or on the seat depending on the size of dog. I had a dog who had the occasional accident due to fear of going to see the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I don't like to use pads anytime. Dogs can learn to wait until someone takes them out. Teaching them on a pad only teaches them that it's ok to go inside and its a tough habit to break later when you don't want them using pads any longer. It doesn't take long to house train a dog. Anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks is usually all it takes.
    Gotta agree with Bill on this one. Basically teaching your dog it's ok to pee in the house. I think if you have to leave your dog for super long stretches of time like 8-10 hours you should consider whether it's a good idea for you to own a dog.
    * * * Unauthorized Advertisement Removed By Moderator * * * Bill

I've never been a fan of those puppy pads. And that fake grass for dogs to go on inside is just gross! We've always trained our dogs to go out, or they trained themselves in the case of the litter of Shar-Pei puppies we had. I've never even bought the pads... Although I can see where they could be useful like in a crate or a traveling situation.

Training your dog to use pee pads is definitely a bad idea. I worked at a dog daycare and hotel and so many owners would drop off a package of pee pads with their dogs and say "he doesn't pee outside, only on the pads..."

I know someone who had that problem with her puppy, even after a year she still has issues with the dog not being fully house trained.

Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    I do use puppy pads but not for the use they were intended for, they are very good under the cat litter tray because my cat occasionally has poor aim. I have a friend who uses them if she has to leave her elderly dog for several hours, the dog sometimes can't wait and they seem work well in that situation.
    That is a great idea for the cats. I have cats and yes they miss the aim on occasion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast