Golden Retrievers - What are the general house rules for you and your pet?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golden Retrievers - What are the general house rules for you and your pet?

Golden Retrievers - What are the general house rules for you and your pet?

For me, Cruiser was taught these things right from the beginning and it's non negotiable. Especially that rets will grow really big and might have a hard time "unlearning" things when he gets older.

- Can the dog go on the furniture or not? Mine's allowed and I didn't get the expensive ones LOL
    - Chewing should be always monitored. Unless you want to see worn out shoes, carpets, clothes etc every day.
    - Also the barking should not be encouraged since they are the non barking types, which I really love about rets!

Care to share yours?

2. Remove Advertisements

For Sarah, we have tried to be consistent and firm but not mean with her. I agree it is MUCH easier to "learn" good behaviors than it is to "unlearn" bad behaviors.

- Sarah is not allowed on the furniture. She can put her front paws on the furniture only while she is sitting.
    - We also monitor chewing. We try to have a sufficient number and variety of dog toys. We have the unique situation in that Sarah shares the household with 7 cats ranging in age from age 5 months to 13 years.
    - We haven't had an issue with barking as of now.
    - We do presently have an issue with Sarah jumping up on people and nipping. We are trying to ignore her when she exhibits this behavior and praising her when she behaves well.

My Great Danes are allowed on the furniture in the living room and den. They are not allowed on the beds.
    There is no chewing problem in my house. The dogs were taught early whats ok to chew and whats not. I never pay attention to chewing.
    When a dog barks, I go and see what he's barking at then tell him it's ok, I see it and there is no need to bark anymore.
    I used timeouts to teach no jumping or nipping.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

5. Remove Advertisements

My brother has flat coat retrievers, three of them. They have house rules, the dogs are not allowed on the furniture and they are not allowed upstairs. The dogs are ok about this. They don't chew things that hey know are not their toys but the rule they find hardest is not to steal. They are only ever fed from their own bowls but they follow the three year old around in the hope that he will have food. They are lovely dogs but they really are a house full.

STA70219.jpg

Having had three Golden Retrievers in the past and a Labrador, my thoughts are never let your puppy do what you wouldn't want it to do as an adult.

Now have had to teach rescue lab what's what. Dog's are allowed on my bed, but only if the dog blanket is on it, otherwise not. Not allowed on sofa's - they have had their own comfortable beds so why should they need my sofa as well! My dogs have always slept in my bedroom, on their own beds. However a morning cuddle on my bed, on their own blanket is allowed.

Chewing as never been a problem, as they have always had their own chew toys, and have found Kong's invaluable when filled, especially when leaving a young dog for a while.

RubyRoo there is a lot of wisdom in your comment - never let a puppy do what you wouldn't want it to do as an adult.

House rules? My golden retriever did what she wanted, when she wanted. She was a pure joy. Now if there was a rule I wished I could control it would be when not to get in the pool. I swear, I gave up brushing her. It was an impossibility. She'd be beautiful. I'd put her out and, yep, right in the pool. 30 degrees outside and she'd be lying down on the stop step having a pool. During the day, she's swimming -- underwater sometimes. Geez!

House rules, very few..... only 2 main ones - [1] no getting on the bed in the morning until both humans are awake and [2] no getting on the guest chairs. Otherwise they come and go and sleep where they please. Personally I love cuddling up with my dogs on the sofa of an the evening and watching TV.

We have more house rules for our human visitors than the dogs - lol - no feeding them anything from the table, be calm when entering the house, no petting them when they barking & jumping around, etc, etc....

Stephanie, I love your rules for human visitors, that is so sensible.

That is a good point Stephanie, I have to be quite strict with my mum otherwise she would spoil the dog more than she spoils my kids!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast