Do you feed your pets table scraps? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Do you feed your pets table scraps?

We feed our dogs scraps from the table all the time. I just can't stand their pleading brown eyes staring at me, lol.

2. Remove Advertisements

My cats plead all the time as well. Sometimes though I am just not able to give them anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chris1203 View Post
    We feed our dogs scraps from the table all the time. I just can't stand their pleading brown eyes staring at me, lol.
    The trouble is, the more you reward begging the more they will beg. People train their dogs well in other ways so i don't understand why people behave differently when it comes to food.

5. Remove Advertisements

I understand your feelings on that and on the whole I agree with you. However people are different, my mum (who is otherwise sensible) has taught her dogs to sit in a line and take turns nicely when she shares her breakfast toast with them!

Quote Originally Posted by kernow View Post
    I understand your feelings on that and on the whole I agree with you. However people are different, my mum (who is otherwise sensible) has taught her dogs to sit in a line and take turns nicely when she shares her breakfast toast with them!
    Aww, that sounds so cute. We don't ever give our dogs anything from the table so they don't bother us at all, but I board other peoples dogs and I know exactly which owners do feed their dogs straight from the table, because they sit there staring at us all through the meal.....Needless to say, after a few nights they give up because nothing ever comes for them.

I loved my dog dearly but the very thought of food made her drool. to have her staring at me and drooling while I was eating would have put me off my meal. She soon understood that I didn't beg for her food when she was eating and i didn't expect her to beg for mine!

I probably sounded a bit of a misery in my last post, but my mother in law used to feed her dog from the table and the dog was a pain at meal times, it would bark constantly until fed. It seemed to me that she had ruined and otherwise very pleasant dog.

My sister makes her dog wait until they are done eating and then will share. This way the dog knows that she is not in control.

I used to do it so much more with my other dogs, but with these two, I'm much stricter. They get very little compared to past dogs.

My rule is that everything my dog eats is put in her bowl in her feeding place, so even if there is something tempting left over she doesn't bother us. It will be put in her bowl and given to her later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast