Seizures - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seizures

Having children has made me more careful about food, about making the budget stretch and about setting a good example for them and giving them healthy choices. That has spilled over into trying to make the best choices for our pets too.

Last edited by Justontime; 11-18-2011 at 08:11 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

We really don't want to know the truth about some of the food we eat, but I think we need to be more cautious, and we need to be better citizens of the world.

Absolutely right Orrymain, we have to take more responsibility. I make every effort to buy local and welfare friendly produce.

5. Remove Advertisements

I see myself getting better in this regard. I think changing the dog food has started a lifechanging process for me as well as my dogs.

It is surprising how a small change can lead you on to make greater changes later.

That's true and I really do feel like I'm evolving and on a journey.

Hi Oryymain So sorry for you. it IS very distressing.We had a collie cross who was prone to siezures of this type.There was no warning.She got them about once a year. Just lay on floor stock still and sometimes her eyes rolled up. I used to sit with her until she came out of it, then stay on floor with her, as she usually slept for a while afterwards. She was usually quite subdued for the rest of that day, The vet as yours did say she could have MRI if these became more frequent. We wondered if she had been hit on head, as she was a very traumatised rescue.She lived until 14 years of age, very happily and the "turns" became less frequent with age. Its so sad, but I really dont think the dogs are aware .all I could do is love her more.

I've been told they don't know what is happening and in each of my oldest dog's seizures, she's basically up and fine right afterward. I'm grateful they aren't frequent.

What Helped My Pug With Seizures

I've had two different pugs who experienced seizures. A mother, and her daughter. The daughter eventually died due to unstoppable seizures at only age 6. But the mother I was able to help, and she lived to be over 14. I had her tested at a vet's for epilepsy, but that was not the problem. He did mention that he thought her problems might be due to sugar metabolism.

As I have for years taken chromium picolinate myself to help metabolize sugar, and have kept diabetes at bay because of it, I started giving it to her in the event sugar metabolism was the problem (about 500 mcgs per day). As long as I gave it to her, she never had another seizure. After about 5 years of giving it to her, I decided maybe she didn't need it anymore. By then, she was about 12 or 13. Within 3 weeks, she had another seizure. I immediately got her back on it.

Another thing - in the earlier days, whenever I could see she was exhibiting signs of going into a seizure, I dissolved a baby aspirin in a teaspoon of water and forced it down her throat. If I was able to do that quickly, it would stave off the seizure. Why, I do not know. But it worked every time! Hope that helps somebody else's poor dogs with seizures. They are terrible for them, and for us.

SusieB

Thank you SusieB, it is always helpful to know what has worked for others. Just one word of caution, chromium picolinate has been shown to have some potentially serious side effects.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast