Seizures
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seizures

Seizures

We had a horrible night/morning today. Cassie had a seizure. She had one 4 years ago and then 3 years ago and now again for the 1st time since then. It started, though, about 1am with her doing that head jut thing. I just held her and talked to her. After 90 minutes, she went to sleep and was fine during the night. Then at 7am, it started again. Took 2 hours this time. She was fine until about noon and then she had the full blown seizure. I just hate it; breaks my heart. She's been fine since, and I'm hoping we're done with this ... again. I don't know the cause. When I took her to the vet after the 2nd seizure, they didn't know. I don't have the money for an MRI or whatever. I don't know if she's epileptic or what, but it sure is scary.

2. Remove Advertisements

I hate to hear that. It's too bad. The good thing is that it's only about once a year. The vet probably won't give any meds when it's that infrequent. This may just be part of her life forever. Wish I could give you some advice but I have none.
    Bill

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring-it was peace. - Milan Kundera

It is scary to see it but you did the right thing by being there and talking to her. Remember that even if she seems distressed at the time she probably remembers very little about it afterwards. If you possibly can get the vet to check her over.

5. Remove Advertisements

I took her to the vet 3 years ago after the 2nd seizure and they don't know. She'd need an MRI to determine anything for sure. He did offer medication if I wanted but he said she'd have to be on it forever and it was extremely expensive. I'm just watching her very closely, and I have researched a lot to see what others have experienced. I believe that my remaining calm does help her. I'm just keeping her close like she seems to want. She was a little off late last night so I don't know if she might not have another full out, but once she went to sleep, she's been fine, and today thus far, she's okay ... but .. watching her like a hawk and not leaving her alone right now.

I hope all goes well for her, I know how worried you must be feeling.

Oh Orrymain, I really feel for you. My mum has a little dog that has seizures. He was a rescue dog and his seizures started a couple of months after my mum got him, that is probably why his previous owners gave him up. There have been times when he had to be kept at the vets for a few days because he was fitting so badly. My mum refused to give up on him but his medication costs a fortune, in total for his epilepsy, heart and eye medications it costs about £100 per month so it is a real struggle.

I'm so sorry for the little doggie, kernow! I've been researching more and learning a lot. I have decided to switch my dog's dry dog food and do some home cooking for her as well. There's a ton of information out there on the internet and you never know what might help.

Syn
    I truely understand how you feel, I had a dog that had them as a young teen. They were horrable, I felt helpless.

I have been using chinese herbs one my little Rat Terrier, Buster, for his trechea. We went to the vet and they wanted to put chemials and pills down his throut, but I am not comfortable with all that. I get the herbs from "PawHealer.com" they are on the internet and have information, FAQ, things for you to look into. Its a natural way of doing things, if you are interested. I hope this helps...
    women and cats will do as they please,
    men and dogs need to get used to the fact.

That is interesting Syn, I have a friend who has used herbs successfully with her dogs (not for seizures) so it has made me a little more open to the idea of herbal treatments.

That's somewhat the direction I'm headed. I've been chatting with the pet nutrictionist over at purelypet and with the reading I've done there and elsewhere, I'm willing to try some of these non-chemical helps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast